There are many environmentally friendly things that we all can do in our own homes to make it a greener place to live. By being green at home not only will we all be helping the environment but we will also be saving a little money at the same time.
If you are a home owner you can do much more than people who are renting, as people that own their own homes have the power to make structural changes to make the home more energy efficient.
Even if you don’t own your own home there are still a few basic tips that we all can do including:
- Changing the light bulbs – Energy saving light bulbs last much longer than standard light bulbs plus they use less energy so will decrease your electricity bills.
- Switch off electrical items and lights when they are not in use.
- Conserve Water – Switch off the tap when not needed and only run the dishwasher or washing machine with a full load.
- Plant trees around the house – Planting trees will help the environment as they absorb the carbon dioxide and give off oxygen.
- Reuse packaging that goods come in, including plastic bags.
- Don’t just switch off electrical items with the remote control, switch them off completely at the plug or power switch.
- Boil a kettle with only as much water as you need
- Turn the heating thermostat down by 1 degree – Just 1 degree will help save you money every year and also help reduce the amount of energy you use.
- Don’t leave the fridge door open as it will require more energy to cool it down again
- Take showers rather than baths – A standard shower only uses 40% of the water that you will use having a bath
- Use rechargeable batteries
- Close your curtains to stop heat escaping in the Winter
- Use a water displacement device in your toilet to help save water
- Re-use shopping bags and other items where you can
- Recycle old mobile phones, iPods, CDs and other unwanted items for cash.
Making your house a greener place to live can be very easy with a few little changes most of which will take little or no time to do. Not only can you make or save some money along the way but you will also be making our world a better place to live.